Message From the Executive Director
Mulago National Referral Hospital was founded in 1913 by Albert Ruskin Cook and later in 1962 the hospital was further extended with the construction of Lower Mulago commonly known as new Mulago. Mulago hospital operates a bed capacity of 1,500. From the 1960s, Mulago Hospital has been the centre of excellence for patient care, training doctors and research however this was slightly hindered by the turbulent years of 1970s and 1980s were the health infrastructure in the country broke down and as such many experts moved out of the country in search for greener pastures while others fled for their safety.
With the stability prevailing in Uganda now, some of our home trained doctors have returned and super spacialized services are being boosted in various discipline like General Surgery, Internal Medicine, Paediatrics, Neurology, Densitry & Oral surgery, Intensive Care Unit (ICU), Ear, Nose & Throat (ENT), Endocrinology, Rheumatology, Renal Dialysis, Accident and Emergency among other services.
The face of service delivery at our national referral is changing for the better and we are more determined than ever before to stick to our sacred obligation of guaranteeing hope to life at all times.